- Undersecretary Dina S. Ocampo, DepEd
- Assistant Secretary Austere A. Panadero, DILG
Department of Education (DepEd)
- Issue DepEd sectoral policies/announcements congruent with LCC policies on the universalization of literacy;
- Develop program/project concepts on universalization of literacy in consultation with other stakeholders;
- Cause the development of a literacy program framework responsive to the national and global issues advocated;
- Provide LCC with information on research findings and project/program outcomes for information and utilization in policy formulation;
- Provide technical assistance to local government units (LGUs), non-government organizations (NGOs), and other government organizations (GOs) on the sustainability of literacy efforts;
- Authorize attendance of sectoral participants in activities that promote literacy and continuing education;
- Monitor progress/regress of related programs and projects; and
- Evaluate the outcome of literacy projects to provide basis for other development cycles.
Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG)
- Issue appropriate policy issuances on the universalization of literacy congruent with that of the LCC;
- Develop indicators responsive to the provisions of Memorandum Circular No. 36 s. 2003 entitled “Strengthening the Resolve for the Universalization of Literacy and for Other Purposes;”
- Issue a resolution for the integration of literacy programs in all local development plans;
- Ensure that LGUs know their roles in the promotion of literacy programs and activities;
- Ensure that literacy programs/projects are among the priorities of the LGUs;
- Ensure that advocacy activities on literacy are integrated down to the grassroots level; and
- Update other member agencies regarding activities undertaken which concern literacy endeavors in the country.
National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA)
- Ensure the inclusion of literacy policies and priorities in the Philippine Development Plan and other related subsectoral plans;
- Assist in identifying possible sources of funds and other forms of support for literacy programs and projects;
- Advise the Council on related policies and development programs; and
- Provide technical assistance to the Secretariat as may be deemed necessary.
Philippine Information Agency (PIA)
- Provide media support to increase awareness and sustain interest in literacy initiatives and programs from the national down to the local levels;
- Issue appropriate policy issuances as regards universalization of literacy congruent with that of the LCC;
- Develop advocacy and social mobilization – information, education, and communication (ASM-IEC) programs that strengthen literacy endeavors intended for different target audiences;
- Include the thrust of universalizing literacy in PIA development plans at all levels; and
- Update other member agencies regarding activities undertaken which concern literacy.
Philippine Normal University (PNU)
- Mobilize the academic community to include literacy concerns in the teacher-training curriculum;
- Update teachers’ knowledge, attitudes, values, and skills (KAVS) in literacy skills development;
- Provide technical assistance to other members of the academic community as regards literacy promotion; and
- Inform other LCC members regarding activities undertaken by the academic community concerning literacy promotion.
Non-Government Organizations (NGOs) involved in Literacy Education
- Develop linkages with the LGUs for community-based literacy development programs;
- Impart insights/views/comments to the Council regarding literacy programs from an NGO perspective; and
- Update other member agencies regarding initiatives undertaken which concern literacy.
House of Representatives and Philippine Senate
- Formulate national policies and standards in terms of programs and policy directions on literacy;
- Develop legislative agenda for the universalization of literacy;
- Review and/or amend existing laws/issuances for an effective system on literacy efforts; and
- Update other LCC members regarding policies/laws enacted relative to literacy.